People in general want a lot of things out of life, a big house, a nice car, a good job, among many other possessions. We want these things because they make us happy! We structure our lives in ways that will gain us happiness. Living life has got a lot easier in the last few years and we now are able to realize many goals and achievements. We also live in a culture with many preconceived notions about what happiness is and what it takes to be happy. Some people think they need a 2 million dollar house. Or to have the body of a supermodel, or need the C.E.O position at the company you work at. There is a long list of these prerequisites to happiness. These symbols of success may make you happy, but then again they might not.
Most people set goals around achievement of things that they want or need. Once these goals have been reached, we generally set new and bigger goals. So finding happiness in the attainment of a goal becomes short lived because now you have a bigger goal to meet. We then tend to spend a big part of our lives chasing goals that might make us happy.
We do not need all the accessories to have happiness; some of the poorest people are the happiest. There is nothing wrong with achievement but we do not need to wait for an outside influence to make us happy. We need to be happy throughout our journey to success. We need to be happy in this moment focus on the day and only today.
- Every day should start with gratefulness, gratitude it removes selfishness and negativity.
- “Gratitude enriches human life. It elevates, energizes, inspires and transforms. People are moved, opened and humbled through expressions of gratitude.” Quote by Robert Emmons
- Appreciate the moment it will attract more good things in your day.
- Other people respect grateful people and are more likely to help you and work with you.
- Set a gratitude alarm, pick a time when you got a couple of spare minutes. Use this time to review you last 24 hrs and make a list of three things you are grateful for.
- You can only control your thoughts,You are the only one that can make you happy, do not look for someone else to make you happy.
- Use positive affirmations and visualization techniques. They will help get you on track and control your thoughts.
- Stop and swap, say stop to yourself, that’s right a direct order, STOP. Then swap the bad thought for a good one. Then swap that good thought for an even better one.
- Learn and practise meditation. Have some relaxing music at hand to help you meditate or visualize.
Try making a difference
- Give some time to helping others you will feel good about it.
- Get a life coach and then coach others, make a difference in someone else’s life.
- Volunteer, it builds strength in your community and also builds good relationships
- Use affirmations to give you encouragement. Remind yourself to give back to your community, and to promote growth in others.
- Helping others promotes your self-esteem and personal growth.
- Check out the web site https://www.volunteermatch.org/. This is a great place to find places to help.
Happiness is something that you can develop and control. Try some of the suggestions in this article. Try not to take yourself too seriously, laugh at yourself a little more. Try some new things, exercise, cooking or meet some new people. Take your dog for a walk or play with the kids, let them make the rules try to look at life through their eyes.